JEOL JSM-6400 SEM Archive February 3, 2008 – August 25, 2011

JEOL JSM-6400 SEM

JEOL JSM-6400 SEM

August 25, 2011 I’ve got the EDS on the 6400 working now. It is ready for use.

August 24, 2011 I am in touch with the EDS system service group and we are working through some checks and tests. As of now, the system is still not working. I’ll keep you updated.

August 22, 2011 6400 EDS is not working. the SEM does work, just not the EDS. I’m working on it.

April 27, 2011 SEM 6400 maintenance scheduled: I’ve tentatively scheduled routine service for the SEM during the week of May 9th. I’m waiting for the company to confirm and I’ll pass that on to you.

Please plan your SEM use accordingly.

March 23, 2011 The magnification knob is now working.

I still have not seen the loss of image problem myself but we will keep following that issue. If this happens to you please stop and come get me.

March 21, 2011 There are a few reports of loss of image on the sem CRT. Please email me if you have had recent problems.

February 21, 2011 The 6400 stage is repaired and the scope is available for use.

February 16, 2011 6400 SEM down. There is a stage problem. I hope to have it back online sometime Friday.

January 5, 2011 EDS systems are working. Sorry for the delay.

December 20, 2010 The EDS system on FESEM, 6400 SEM and TEM will be offline beginning tomorrow afternoon. Offline means they won’t work and cannot be used.

I will bring them back online Monday, Jan 3rd.

July 20, 2010 The JEOL 6400 SEM maintenance visit is scheduled next week on Tues, Wed and Thurs and I will be available on a limited basis during that time. I will attend a conference during the 1st week in August and will return to work on Thurs, Aug 12.

June 10, 2010 the aperture was misadjusted so badly as to block the beam. this happened during SEM course projects.

June 9, 2010 The SEM is down but I can’t get to it till tomorrow morning. I’ll let you know when its back online.

April 9, 2010 Most of you know that I installed a new EDS system at Christmas. The instructions for using that system have been in the lab since then.

I also installed the newest version of dPict (digital image collection software) and just updated the instructions. dPict has new capabilities. This is new – you can collect a frame averaged image which is good for charging or beam sensitive samples. It will also operate in the same slow scan mode you are accustomed to using. A software button has been added so that you can append the magnification to your image title.

April 8, 2010 The 6400 is working now and is not being used this afternoon.

April 7, 2010 6400 SEM is broken. I’m working on it.

March 4, 2010 6400 EDS is working.

March 4, 2010 The EDS system on the 6400 is down. I’m working on it. Stay tuned to this channel for updates.

February 3, 2010 I’ve repaired the motorized stage for the 6400 and it appears to be working fine. Let me know if you have trouble.

February 1, 2010 My stage fix did not work. There is a bigger problem. I’ve disconnected the stage motors and reinstalled the manual controls. It is pretty self-explainatory but call me if you need help.

February 1, 2010 We’ve had some problems with the stage. The X axis will “slip” and become out of agreement with the software position. I have located a problem and I am looking for a replacement part. In the mean time, I have installed a state-of-the-art elastomer (rubber : -) band to eliminate the slipping. Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

January 22, 2010 We have a policy to limit SEM reservations to 2 hrs/session. We did this because a few users could tie up the SEMs for days. I don’t rigorously enforce this because, for the most part, you all don’t abuse it. Lately, however, some of you have reserved 3 & 4 hour blocks for one session. This is sometimes unavoidable but please avoid long sessions. I’ll be keeping a closer eye on this.

January 21, 2010 We have installed 4pi hardware and Revolution software on the FESEM, 6400 SEM and TEM. Instructions for using the software can be found herehttp://electronmicroscopy.org/ Navigate to Hitachi S-4700 FE-SEM > Microanalysis. Note that the instructions are written for the FESEM and some microscope operations will be different. We are actively working on revised instructions for the 6400 and TEM. They should be published within a week or so. Few of you use standards-based quantitative microanalysis and instead use semi-quantitative analysis. I’ve mentioned in earlier messages that depending on the geometry and composition of your sample, error in the results could approach 20%. I think it would be a good idea to use an off-line microanalysis software package to verify your results. Please download that software, DTSA II, here. http://www.cstl.nist.gov/div837/837.02/epq/dtsa2/index.html This is Java software and like ImageJ is free (actually, you paid for it through federal taxes). Let me know if you have questions.

January 7, 2010 The 6400 SEM is working with new 4 pi software for EDS (same as FESEM and TEM) and a new revision of dPict (image acquisition). If possible, wait until next week to use it when I can show you how.

December 22, 2009 We are still not up and running yet. I’m working on it and in the mean time we’ll have to reply on the FESEM.

December 18, 2009 I am still working to the software back online. the eds is working but no stage control or imaging. i hope we can get it back up next week.

December 17, 2009 6400 SEM I have the EDS system working but the imaging and stage control is still out. I’ll be working on it today and tomorrow.

December 15, 2009 The 6400 system will not be back online until the end of this week. I waited yesterday for information on software configuration that did not come. I am sure I will get it today. The detector will arrive tomorrow for installation. I will keep you informed of the SEM status.

December 14, 2009 I am installing a new computer in the 6400 lab to operate the imaging and EDS systems. At the same time, we are switching to another EDS hardware/software system by 4pi. The software is called Revolution and is already being used in the FESEM and TEM labs. Excellent documentation on the software operation is provided here. http://electronmicroscopy.org/FE_MA_XSA.htm A field service engineer will be here Wednesday to install a new EDS detector. If all goes well the system should be finished and operational no later than Friday. If you have work that must be done this week we can probably accommodate you on the FESEM. There is absolutely no other time to make the changes so please bear with me during this period.

November 2, 2009 Nearly all of you use the standardless quantitative analysis on the EDS systems. I need to remind you that the error may be as high as 20% or more, depending on the elements you choose. We have an amazing array of physical standards and can help you set up a rigorous analysis.

August 18, 2009 The 6400 backscatter detector is working. X-ray mapping is not working on the 6400.

August 14, 2009 The 6400 EDS is working but except NO x-ray mapping.

March 24, 2009 The 6400 is broken. I’ll fix of tomorrow.

December 4, 2008 The SEM embedded computer would not start after reset. Scope unusable. Taced problem to Lens I/O board (2), JEOL sent replacement IC’s. Problem repaired, scope is usable.

November 3, 2008 I replaced the RH CRT cont & bright pots last week. Sometime over the weekend one wire broke free and the RH image was missing. Works fine after re-soldering the wire.

September 5, 2008 We have repaired a problem that prevented the PC from talking to the EDS control box.

August 14, 2008 The 6400 SEM EDS detector is not yet working properly. We are working on it now.

August 8, 2008 The EDS system is operating properly now. The cable carrying the x-ray pulse signal had grounded creating noise that the electronics registered as x-rays at 100% dead-time.

August 5, 2008 The EDS system is not functioning properly. Owen is consulting the product engineers, and the problem should be fixed once he returns. Also, images are not saving properly in dPict.

July 17, 2008 We continue to correct and adjust the computer login system. Please use the system AND paper login simultaneously.

July 2, 2008 The 6400 will be out of service from 5PM Thursday, July 3 till 8AM Monday, July 7.

June 6, 2008 I have repaired the 6400 and it is operational and available for use.

June 6, 2008 The 6400 is down – inoperable due to some overheating problem. Likely not serious. I will post a message when we are back online I am installing the NPGS lithography system on teh 6400 and will be blocking out time to complete that project.

April 1, 2008 Today, we are activating the computer logbook system for the 6400 SEM ONLY. 6400 users, please sign the paper logbook and swipe your MTU id card when you begin and end your session. THIS IS IMPORTANT – after we are confident the system works I will install a switch that will disable the SEM until the card is swiped.

MSE undergrads – those of you working on senior projects may not be in the system yet. To prevent delays, please contact me BEFORE you need to use the SEM.

February 3, 2008 NPGS. we have 2 new, latest version NPGS system. One will be installed on the 6400 for e-beam litho. The other will replace the one on the FIB. This installation will result in some downtime for NPGS users. I HIGHLY recommend that you back up your patterns to a disk before this switch. I will be scheduling this install with FIB users.

6400 SEM – a-okay

Routine maintenance – The FIB, FESEM and 6400 are all due for factory maintenance. In each case the scope will be down most of a week. I’ll alert you to this schedule.