Adopted May 9, 1995, revised January 28, 2010
Reviewed July 25, 2016
Welcome to the Electron Optics Facility of the Applied Chemical and Morphological Analysis Laboratory (ACMAL-EOF) at Michigan Tech. We appreciate your interest in our facilities and are committed to solving your research problems.
Our goal is to create a productive relationship with you and/or your firm that minimizes red tape and maximizes output. We are open to anyone with an interest in high quality research testing.
We specialize in nanotechnology research, micro X-ray analysis, ion milling applications, and micro phase analysis via electron diffraction. We can develop a protocol for your work or adapt an existing protocol to our lab capabilities. We offer many specimen preparation tools.
In instances where interpretation of test result is required, we can match your area of research with that of an MTU faculty member.
We can work with you in one of three ways:
- Consulting. You would work directly with an individual staff or faculty member. That person will submit a single invoice and then reimburse the University for equipment use.
- Contractual Testing Agreement. We develop a budget that meets your testing needs. It specifies the duration of the project and the degree of equipment use. Full payment for the work is expected upon signing the contract. Equipment use, supplies, and wages are subject to university overhead (38.6%).
- Research Project. You work directly with an MTU researcher and MTU’s Sponsored Programs Accounting to develop a budget and terms.
Onsite Private Consultants:
We have done testing for entities that never come to MTU (remote). In this situation, we will communicate with you via phone, email, or visual attachments to understand the results you want. We will receive your specimens, perform the tests, and send the results to you via mail, email, or secure download site.
We regularly work with external entities. Examples of sectors for which we have performed services:
- Micro-businesses to large corporations
- Academic institutions
We have worked directly and/or indirectly with these corporations and institutions:
- Boston Scientific
- Dr. Bruce Barkalow
- Shawn Carlson
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors
- Grede Foundry
- GS Engineering
- Guidant Corporation
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI)
- Radiance Technologies
- Rod Johnson & Associates
- Tyco Fire & Security
- United Technologies
University, Research, and Non-Profit
- Beaumont Hospital
- Department of Geology & Planetary Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
- Electrical Engineering Department, Louisiana Tech University
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- University of Pennsylvania, Geosciences
I want to use this cool stuff myself. Can I?
In some cases, we offer external users with proper qualifications the opportunity to operate some equipment themselves.
I’m pumped! How do I sign up?
Contact EOF Engineer Owen Mills to get the process started.
How can I make my visit easy and enjoyable?
Michigan Tech maintains much information for visitors:
You will be visiting an historic copper mining area which is considered to be one of the top outdoor recreational sites in the world.